Tuesday 3 August 2010

The challenge of imagining!!


Australia is one of the destinations that I'd love to go to for many reasons, the principal being its outstanding nature, from the beautiful beaches to the superb deserts & of course I wouldn’t mind visiting my fiancé who resides there.



Well,, I’m supposed to imagine that I’ve been to the Australian desert which I pretty much have failed to do. To be honest, I’ve tried to picture that I’m in the desert doing this crazy adventure as Robyn Davidson did in her famous book Alone Across the Outback, but I couldn’t do that.

I think I’m just terrified by the idea of being alone in the desert, I’m telling you, I would die if I found myself in an empty place and no one around me and I’d be really scared if I were in Davidson's shoes.

yes, yes I admit that I don’t have the courage to journey unaccompanied, I remember when I first got here, I was so frightened to sleep alone in a closed room, so I took my quilt and silently crept to my brother’s room, who was shocked when saw me in the morning while I was making excuses to not look like a coward.

I also hate hot weather and when I read the traveler's description about how hot  the weather was in the desert and how thirsty she was, I couldn’t complete reading and ran for an ice cream which comforted me a lot because I felt hot and unable to breath. Sometimes I have a drop in blood pressure and feel dizzy in hot days, so imagining such situations is so difficult for me.


This, however, doesn’t mean I hate desert because I truly like going to such places in Saudi and camping out there, enjoying the beauty of the desert BUT usually in spring time where the weather is cold and rainy.



_________________








7 comments:

  1. It seems to me that you managed to imagine being in the desert a bit too much! At least you had ice cream to hand!

    Beautifully written- really engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, princess I laughed when I read that you went to your brother's room to sleep, I can't imagine myself do such thing. (>_<)
    I agree with you about hot weather. I wish if I could take some rainy clouds from Nottingham to Jeddah lol.
    Nice one keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think u could'nt imagine being in the desert coz u already had enough from Jeddah's weather :P
    Nice post though Princess,,
    thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a task to keep you posting Ameerah! I'm reading about women's travel writing, Dervla Murphy, for example, was one of the writers you raised in the first week after you had scannes the section at Waterstone's. She wrote about a journey by bike from Kenya to Zimbabwe (3,000 miles), which presents an indictment of what she perceives as an international failing to address the world Aids epidemic in Africa which she was witness to. She also wrote a book about Romania, which conveyed how people were living in a country which had been subject to Nicolae Ceauşescu's dictatorship, 'Transylvania and Beyond.' In general her books pose ecological / political questions about the places and people she witnesses as she travels through. Post 1990, Sara Wheeler (another prominent, contemporary travel writer) wrote 'Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica (1997) is an example of a journey that takes the reader with the writer, or aims to. Sara Wheeler stayed there for a long time doing research, with an all male team. She wrote about her experiences as a female outsider, as a woman and the book is a reflection of that. Have you ever felt that you haven't belonged somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Australia is on my list of countries I've yet to visit. The cities not the desert or "nature".

    good good good

    ReplyDelete